You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skates + Pavement  (Read 4877 times)

Offline sk8great

• Figure skating isn't a sport. me: -flashes blades-
  • Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 33
Skates + Pavement
« on: January 15, 2013, 10:40:45 PM »

Im not even that brave enough to risk my blades. Couldn't you damage your them? What would happen?  :o  ;D

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: Skates + Pavement
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 10:45:46 PM »
It's entirely possible these were old skates :)

Offline sk8great

• Figure skating isn't a sport. me: -flashes blades-
  • Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 33
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 11:31:20 PM »
What I thought was to buy really cheap skates and use that :D

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 11:34:36 PM »
Never!

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 11:47:14 PM »
That would never happen where I live.  The road crews would be out salting before it ever came to that.

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 11:58:22 PM »
That would never happen where I live.  The road crews would be out salting before it ever came to that.

Well, here in Texas whenever we get anything frozen everyone freaks out and everything just shuts down.. most people don't go out on the road and it's probably a good thing they don't.  Sad, but true.  A few years ago we had a freak snowstorm roll in during the day and the kids actually stayed at school all day, and even went to school the next day... it was highly unusual for our area but because there was no ice there was no problem. 

We got about 5" of snow It was sooooo pretty :) (and only the second time in 10 years of living here that I've seen so much snow on the ground.. the first was only a few months after we moved and I didn't get pictures)

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 08:05:13 AM »
That is really awesome!  For sure it was old skates, no one would waste good blades on a novelty like that. I especially liked the "don't go down the stairs!"

It looks a lot like my sister's neighborhood in Fort Worth- when they had the bad snow/ice storms it stayed like that for days because they get like 1 or 2 a year; not enough for the city to keep large crews to salt the streets, so neighborhoods were very low priority, keeping the highways clean was the priority (not that anyone left their home to go on them!)  When I lived in Austin on the rare occasion that weather like that happened there was no clearing at all- no equipment to do it, they might have some now.  It usually melted before it was ever a problem.

I've had some majorly icey sidewalks that neighbors didn't clear around here- for weeks.  Never thought to skate on them!

Offline rosereedy

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 08:51:22 AM »
I couldn't imagine hitting a patch were no ice formed.  You would go flying face first!  No thanks, I'll stick to the rink.

Offline Purple Sparkly

• CER-A
  • Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 65
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 11:22:49 AM »
I skated on my icy streets a couple years ago in a pair of old skates.  The ice was definitely not thick enough to do jumps, but I skated around my neighborhood.  I actually use those skates for coaching.  It was 2010 and I haven't had them sharpened since.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 04:53:33 PM »
We're supposed to have 5-7" tomorrow.

OR 1-3".

OR just rain.

OR ice.

We did get a warning not to leave our cars overnight in the parking lot.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 09:14:33 PM »
wow - that is awesome - this girl is a good skater to be able to skate on an uneven surface like that - I am guessing that the ice was thick enough and clean enough that she didn't wreck her blades - she did not seem the least bit concerned about that.

Cool!

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 10:01:23 PM »
When I lived in Austin on the rare occasion that weather like that happened there was no clearing at all- no equipment to do it, they might have some now.

They have had sand trucks here since I started driving about 15 years ago :)  I would say on average we get ice on the roads at least half a dozen times a year (especially with all of the elevated highway interchanges)... much more often than we get snow.  I don't normally go anywhere when it's icy - it's not the roads that scare me, but the other people driving (too fast) on them :)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 04:40:22 PM »
They have had sand trucks here since I started driving about 15 years ago :)  I would say on average we get ice on the roads at least half a dozen times a year (especially with all of the elevated highway interchanges)... much more often than we get snow.  I don't normally go anywhere when it's icy - it's not the roads that scare me, but the other people driving (too fast) on them :)

I was in San Antonio the year the blizzard shut down the city and Henry Cisneros told everyone to stay home since there wasn't a snowplow in 200 miles.

I had to teach my neighbors how to clean snow off a car (start on the sides first)
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 06:08:10 PM »

I moved 13 years ago- I was driving for a few years before then, and they certainly didn't clear the roads anywhere near where I lived.  Maybe they did major roads like Mopac?

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 02:56:29 PM »
Maybe she sprayed the road with water first, and let it freeze. Wipee! But not so good for some road uses.

Lots of us have skated outdoors, on ponds, lakes, rivers, or canals, which can have patches of rough stuff too. Blades don't last long, but people do what they can, where they can. Just like a lot of skiers have a second older or less expensive pair of skis they use on patchy road snow.

Once I walked in uncovered skates to my car through a concrete parking lot. I figured it was only a couple dozen feet, so it wouldn't matter. I was wrong...

Offline treesprite

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 5
  • Returning from a past skating life.
    • Ice Skate Forum
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2013, 04:17:26 AM »
I skated on the parking lot and tennis courts before, wearing old skates. It was really cool being able to do it.