You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Double runner skates  (Read 1692 times)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Double runner skates
« on: December 14, 2012, 09:11:32 PM »
Recently saw some double runner skates that otherwise looked like low level figure skates. The runners were about 1/2 inch apart.

I guess they were meant for beginners.

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
Re: Double runner skates
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 10:14:39 PM »
They are. They're supposed to help you balance more but in the end they do more harm than good.*

*Had double runner skates one year when in Chicago, way before I started skating.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 10:21:41 PM »
I only saw them in toddler sizes, someone donated several pairs of white ones to the outdoor rink I used to skate at :P

And yeah, I can't imaging any edges in those double runners :P

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 11:22:37 PM »
I had some for my son when he was 1.5. We call them bob skates.  They have no edges, I only had them for him to get him out on the ice.  Unfortunately he doesn't seem to have much interest in skating. 

Offline bambucci

• Teacher | Learner
  • Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 11:13:44 PM »
We got some Baby Skates for my son.  :BS:  He's 18 months and has been on the ice twice.  The first time he was 15 months and had just learned to walk - he didn't have the double blades and was in the smallest rentals available.  That pair was still too large for him.  I pretty much supported him the entire time, but he had fun.  The second time was this past weekend with the double blades.  It took him a minute to get used to walking in them.  After about 30 minutes on the ice, he was able to stand by himself (with me close by) as well as march!  I was floored.

If anything, this is great since it allows my whole family to skate!  I coach full time and my daughter skates recreationally.  My wife started to skate after the birth of our son, but we had to take turns watching him.

http://www.coachseye.com/MePL

I'm a much bigger fan of the double blades than the walkers (as seen in the video) that allow skaters that shouldn't be able to skate fast zoom right by you uncontrollably.  I've had one kid run into the back of my knees while I was working with one of my adults on crossovers.
“In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.” ― Robert Frost

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 11:39:18 PM »
My experience teaching snowplow is that kids who are physically ready (balance/coordination is developed enough, and they really WANT to be on the ice learn to skate) to be on the ice have little to no trouble standing up and marching in regular skates... after just a few classes most can even manage short glides.   The notion that it's "easier" to balance on double runners is fairly bogus IMO... any benefit is lost by the fact that you truly can't skate in them.