You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Adventures in (Surprise) Skating Buying  (Read 2222 times)

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
Adventures in (Surprise) Skating Buying
« on: December 17, 2012, 04:17:56 PM »
On Saturday, my dear husband (DH) asked me if I wanted to go shopping with him to a mall that is about 45 mins from our house.  On the way down, he missed the exit which I thought was weird.  Instead he takes the one that goes by the skate shop.  As he pulls into the parking lot, he tells me that we are going skate shopping as my Christmas present.  :love: He normally likes to surprise me with gifts but knew that he couldn't do that for skates. Smart man.

[He asked me about my skates earlier in the week.  I'd said that I'd probably need some new ones in a few months as my blades were over 3 years old and boots were over 2.  Starting to have to do multiple lace reties a sesson and blades not feeling right.]

We go in the store and over to the display of skates.  The fitter  gal comes over to help us and DH tells were my make & model of both boots and blades. He even knows the legnth of my current blades.  Fitter is impressed.  DH (who is an engineer by the way) has researched boots and blades.  He starts suggesting boots that would be way too stiff and blades way too advanced.  He thinks more expensive is better and it is so sweet that he wants to get me the best skates possible.  I argue that I want the same boots and blades as I have now.  He insists that I get the other.  Between fitter and myself, we explain the perils of overbooting and overblading. I win!

I know that I am an 8B in Jackson, but I get measured anyway.  Turns out that I measure a 8A.  2+ years ago, I measured an 8B.  Are my feet getting narrower or have the boots been resized?  Who knows?  But narrower feet would explain the multiple reties (lesson learned from width issues with my Reidell boots).  I try on one of each width and try to figure out which width is which.  I guess wrong - B is really A.  Fitter suggests I get the A width so I did. I had to have the big toe punched out a little on the right foot which she was able to do. There is no one to mount the blades on the weekend.  I pick up my new skates tonight.

I only have 1 lesson this week. Then don't have a lesson for about 2 weeks.  I'm trying to decide if I'm going to waste it wearing the new pair or switch out my skates before my lesson. A nice decision to have to make.  Love being married to a man that gets me. :love:

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
Re: Adventures in (Surprise) Skating Buying
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 04:43:10 PM »
So sweet! Merry Christmas!
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline Janie

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 45
    • Jumps and falls of an adult figure skater
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 04:50:25 PM »
So sweet :) Made me happy just reading about this.

I'd change the skates after the lesson. You won't be able to do much in lesson when breaking them in, right?
My figure skating blog! http://janieskate.blogspot.com/

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 08:55:45 PM »
What a nice surprise!  What did you end up with, if you don't mind me asking? :)

I skate in "top level" boots.. in theory much "above" my current level because I'm obviously not doing triples but I had great immediate forward knee bend in them and I absolutely love my current boots.. they are perfect :)

Offline Vicki7

• Freestyle Skater
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 09:18:32 AM »
Awww that's really sweet. I had similar when buying my skates (my first pair of figures in 14 years so I knew nothing).

"It's a birthday present, buy the ones that fit best, but go for whatever skate you want" says my mum. I so nearly over-booted myself, but the girls in my shop were very insistent that I would be fine in a lower level boot, at least for a while. I got Jackson Mystiques, and although I full expect to replace them in around a year, I'm very happy with them :)
Started lessons again: 6/11/2012
Currently working on Skate UK Level 8, and beginning to enter the world of ice dance :)

My skating blog: http://eye-see-the-ice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 03:35:38 PM »
I got Jackson Premiere boots and MK professional blades.  I did buy new skate guards for them....even sprung for the 2 tone - green and turquoise - my 2 favorite colors.  I think I am going to wait and skate on the new ones on Wednesday when I don't have a lesson.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 05:28:33 PM »
That's a great combo :)

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 06:57:55 PM »
I love my Jackson Premiers- hope you like yours too.