You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: What is "heavy on the boots"?  (Read 1636 times)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
What is "heavy on the boots"?
« on: October 01, 2012, 04:41:20 PM »
It probably already came up before but I am still uncertain what makes a skater "heavy on the boots".

Suppose 2 skaters of the same weight and height, same age, same boots, working on the same skill levels in same practice patterns. What factors would make one skater particularly heavy on the boots? I am guessing it's more likely technique related? Does it have any correlation with power and flow? Is the skater likely to be wearing the blades down faster too?

Thanks in advance!

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: What is "heavy on the boots"?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 04:54:58 PM »
I don't know that it's always technique related (in my mind somehow I associate "technique" as meaning poor technique).. every skater is a little different in how they use their edges, knee bend, ankle bend, etc.  Fit matters a lot as well.. if it's off (too wide/narrow or long/short) that will contribute to premature breakdown.

I've always been hard on boots (though I skate in stiffer boots as a result, I don't feel like I'm breaking them down too fast), but I don't think I am hard on my blades.. they don't seem to wear down excessively.  I've been getting my paramounts sharpened about every 12 weeks.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 05:05:24 PM »
For blades there are even more factors: consistent use of blade guards (and cleaning them!), smoothness and hardness of ice surface, expertise of sharpener etc.

Great point that poor fit wears down the boots!

I totally do not associate "heavy on boots" with bad technique. Maybe poor choice of wording on my part. If the skater is pushing harder and bending more, I could see the boots breaking down faster :)

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 05:07:01 PM »
My daughter is one - jumps big, power, falls hard, fearless.  We saved her axel skates because we have never seen any skates quite so beaten up.  Not broken down - just abused.

Ice dancers (and judges) have commented positively on her power, edges, and speed.

She uses hard guards before she leaves the ice, stores them well, her blades are in beautiful condition.  By hard on skates, it's all about her boot.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 11:55:56 PM »
I totally do not associate "heavy on boots" with bad technique. Maybe poor choice of wording on my part. If the skater is pushing harder and bending more, I could see the boots breaking down faster :)

I didn't think you meant that, I just meant that every time I hear that, it's immediately what I think of which is why I mentioned it :blush:

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 12:15:49 AM »
Sure :)  I was thinking efficient pushing vs. inefficient pushing a little earlier. If a lot of power is applied, both could be heavy on the boots, but skater with efficient pushing will be flying at top speed while the skater pushing (hard!) inefficiently is no faster than a skater barely pushing but with very good technique.

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 08:07:29 AM »
I think I am hard on boots.  I like to bend a lot and push hard.  I don't jump but I like to skate into the ice as much as possible. 

To me this means just what I described.  Nothing about technique really. I think it is just someone who really uses their skates and skates hard.