You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: More questions on boot break down  (Read 1246 times)

Offline spiralina

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 10
  • lutz of love!
More questions on boot break down
« on: May 23, 2012, 02:45:41 PM »
My skates are starting to break down, somewhat unexpectedly. Whilst I've had them about two years, they are Riedell Elite Royal 900s and I have only used them for singles to lutz/axel attempts and Juvenile MITF (equivalent), skating around 5-7 hours a week on average. I am also very slight, and so did NOT expect to break down an elite boot that quickly as a beginner. (Before anyone asks, I got offered the boots for free from the shop, else would never had paid so much!)

But how to replace them? I don't really want to get the same level of boot again if I don't need them, but I am a bit worried that I would break down a slightly softer model even more quickly. I'd really like my next pair to last a couple of years as well. My pro admits that he is not an equipment man, and I'd like your opinions...

Any thoughts? Would you have expected such a quick breakdown? Is it just the length of time that I've had them, rather than what I've been doing in them?

:(

(I'm sure that they're on their way - maybe a few months to go. There aren't obvious creases on the outside, but quite deep ones inside especially on my landing foot, which go all the way to the ankle, and they don't feel as supportive as before - I have to really tug the laces for the ankles not to feel loose.)

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
Re: More questions on boot break down
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 03:04:41 PM »
It could be that the boots were not the right fit for you.  Larger/wider boots tend to crease easily.