You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: How hard to break-in Jackson FreeStyle skates?  (Read 16813 times)

Offline ubmuaer

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 16
How hard to break-in Jackson FreeStyle skates?
« on: November 23, 2011, 09:27:16 AM »
How hard will it be to break-in the Jackson FreeStyle skates?  Esp, if I'm just going around in circles on the rink (no jumps)?  I looked at the lower end of Jackson skates (Artiste, Mystique) and the quality did not feel nice.

By the way, width-wise, do you know how the Jackson Freestyle are compared to very beginner models (Softskate)?  Thanks.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: How hard to break-in Jackson FreeStyle skates?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 09:53:36 AM »
As the name implies, they are intended for low level freestyle skating.  If you just do circles around the rink, they may feel a little bit stiff, however, if you are an adult and not a child, they should be fine, as they aren't really that stiff- they are the lowest level freestyle boots Jackson sells.  I would not put a low level child in them, but an adult has extra weight, so they shouldn't hurt your ankles.  The stiffness rating of the boot "45" is the same as the Classique.

I would look at the blade. Are you a beginner skater, or just one who does not partake in Freeskate elements?  The toe pick will be larger than the low end skates, so if you are a beginner, it could be a tripping hazard.  It has a much larger blade then the Mystique but the same blade as Classique and Artiste. 

Honestly though, I don't know if the quality of construction is much better than Classique/Artiste/Mystique.  Jackson considers all these boots to be in the same category of recreational figure skates.

I can't answer in comparision for the softskate, but I thought their sizes were for all skates, so I'd expect it would be similar. 

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 10:08:08 AM »
I have students in the Freestyles and my own daughters wear them as well.  The Jackson Freestyles are for the recreational freestyle skater, not someone who's just skating circles around the rink.  They are more stiff than the Classiques, which are the top-of-the-line rec skate, and definitely more stiff than the SoftSkates.  (I thought someone here said the SofSkates were sized slightly different, but I could be wrong.)  

The Freestyles are higher quality than the lower models and the boot is cut to allow for knee bend and toe pointing.  Adults don't outgrow their skates, so without any jumps, the boot will last a good time.  Good skates really are an investment for Adults.

The stock Mirage blade on the Freestyle boot is challenging.  I have a student who changed from Riedells with the "Sapphire" rec blade to Freestyles with the Mirage blade.  The blade really was difficult for her to master, especially with only skating a few hours each week.  The blade rocker is much more prominent on the Mirage, and she felt she would trip or go over the toepicks and face plant.

If you're not doing any spins, turns or crossovers, then these aren't the boots for you.  Jumps break down boots more than they break them in.  Crossovers, dips, sit spins and spirals help break them in and it sounds like you're just going to skate forward in circles without even edges or turns.

I would suggest the Classiques - they'll last just as long, save you some money up front, and most of all, you'll be able to break them at your current skating level/skills.

Good luck.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 10:39:37 AM »
I would suggest the Classiques - they'll last just as long, save you some money up front, and most of all, you'll be able to break them at your current skating level/skills.

Unless the Jackson website is wrong, they list the Classique as having the same stiffness and same blade as the Freestyle. 

The main difference seems to be that the Classique has a PVC sole while the Freestyle has a leather one, though both say the blade is attached with screws, not rivets.

But if you think the Mirage blade is not appropriate for skating around the rink, the Classique would not be the way to go.  Were you thinking of the Artiste?  That has the Mark IV blade, and is less stiff.  The Mark IV blade is MUCH better than what comes with the Mystique, but is not as much of a freestyle blade as the Mirage.

Offline ubmuaer

• Designated Spinner
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 10:42:17 AM »
Thanks for your help.  I think the Classiques are made of the same leather material as the Artiste and Mystique?  All 3 skates look completely the same from the outside.  If that is the case, I might go for the lower end Artiste b/c they're less stiff and also cheaper.

I liked the Freestyle initially because the heel was wooden and I think the leather felt like it was made from better materials.  The Artiste, Mystique, and Classique feel like plastic that will break apart easily.  As an adult, I really just wanted one good skate that will last me til old age.  

I think you might have convinced me not to get the Freestyle boot due to the Mirage blade.  I am currently on the Riedell Sapphire blade.  The Riedells are killing my feet and I wanted to try Jackson skates.

Offline ubmuaer

• Designated Spinner
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 10:45:55 AM »
But if you think the Mirage blade is not appropriate for skating around the rink, the Classique would not be the way to go.  Were you thinking of the Artiste?  That has the Mark IV blade, and is less stiff.  The Mark IV blade is MUCH better than what comes with the Mystique, but is not as much of a freestyle blade as the Mirage.

Hmm, this pair of Freestyle skate I am looking at actually has a Mark IV blade instead of Mirage.  Did the Freestyle skates at one point really have a Mark IV blade, or do you think they customized it?

Is stiffness of the boot a huge concern for skating comfortably?

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 11:00:29 AM »
Unless the Jackson website is wrong, they list the Classique as having the same stiffness and same blade as the Freestyle. 
I'm speaking from hands-on experience, not from the catalog ratings.  I have skaters/children/myself in Jackson boots and I usually accompany my students to the pro shop to answer questions and help with decisions.  I was at a Jackson fitting yesterday.  I can bend the ankle on the Classique more easily than the Freestyle, which is (to me) an important test.  Maybe the catalog rating is a range of stiffness, with the Classique at the lower end and the Freestyle at the upper end.  When my skates start to break down, I get more side-to-side movement and resulting ankle pain, so the ankle bend is important to me.  YMMV

The Freestyle also has a leather sole vs. the Classique's PVC, so I think that makes a difference in the materials as well.

Hmm, this pair of Freestyle skate I am looking at actually has a Mark IV blade instead of Mirage.  Did the Freestyle skates at one point really have a Mark IV blade, or do you think they customized it?
Yes, Jackson changed the stock blades on the Freestyles.  If the skates have a Mark IV blade, they're leftovers from about 2 years ago, or earlier.  If the boots are in good condition, it's not a big deal.  It's not a customization.

Is stiffness of the boot a huge concern for skating comfortably?
Too-stiff boots prevent knee bends, which are needed for pretty much everything in skating, including gliding and stroking.  When skaters are "overbooted," The front of their ankle/top of the foot hurt most since they resist knee bending, and ankle bones get sore and achy.  (Some of the latter can be resolved by pro shop adjustments.)  

Skating with straight knees can easily cause trip-falls.  That's one of my complaints about the SoftSkates - the Jackson brand ones are okay, but the Riedell ones are really stiff and hold the leg in a 90° position for most of the time.  My LTS students on the Riedell Soft Series skates struggle with three turns because they can't bend their knee/ankle enough.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 11:05:44 AM »
I liked the Freestyle initially because the heel was wooden

Just FYI- the heel is leather, not wood, but yes, that is better than PVC.

Going with a lower end skate is a better decision for the type of skating you want to do.  You can always upgrade later.
If all you are doing is skating circles, they will last you a long time. 

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 11:16:21 AM »
I was talking to the woman in our pro shop about Mirage vs. Mark IV and she felt the Mark IV is a better all-purpose blade.  (She said something about the cost of the Mirage being ridiculously cheap.) 

The Classiques used to come with the Mark IV's and you can still order them through a pro shop.  That's a good suggestion, Skittl.

It was a short conversation because the point was moot: my student is doing axel prep and camels on Coronation Aces now, so we all agreed that keeping her on those blades was a better option, albeit more expensive.  Having her change boots and blades was too much.  (Couldn't move the blades to the new boots - she went up two sizes!)

BTW, leather soles and heels means that you have to waterproof them once a year or as needed, depending on how often you skate.  That's the advantage of PVC soles/heels: no maintenance other than cleaning/polishing.  However, many pro shops won't change or adjust blades on PVC soles because the material isn't as forgiving or repairable as leather.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 03:49:28 PM »
Three years of skating in JAckson Competitors (stiffness 55), and they're finally broken in. I'm still not looping over the top hooks. The Freestyle is slightly less stiff than the Competitors. But, I'm betting that they may still be too stiff for pure recreational skating. I'm in the Competitors because I'm hefty, I think they'd still be as stiff as a board if I was skinny.

I don't know if you can take the Jackson stiffness ratings seriously. I don't know how they make the determination, it's probably something to do with the number of layers of leather and the quality of leather. I have the Finesse dance boots (rated 45 just like the Freestyle.) They're as stiff as the Competitors when they were new.

Man, I didn't know the Mirage was a hard to skate on blade. I wish I'd known. I've got them on both pairs of boots.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/