You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skate insoles  (Read 4405 times)

Offline rosereedy

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 6
Skate insoles
« on: July 21, 2011, 01:03:19 PM »
I need new insoles for my skates and not sure what kind.  I have Klingbeil customs and can't get to NY to get adjustments.  I need about 2 millimeters added to my skates and usually if you take the insoles out, you get a tad more room.  I have super thick leather ones from Klingbeil in them right now.  So what I was wondering is, can I get the leather ones shaved down or is there a brand that has really paper thin insoles that can be trimmed down to size.  I don't want to skate without any since there is the stitching in the bottom of the boot.  I don't want to take my skates to a shoe repair place to get them stretched since most don't have experience with skates.  I can't run the risk of a ruined boot.  Thoughts?

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Re: Skate insoles
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 01:05:36 PM »
Just to be clear: do you want to make the current insoles thicker or replace them with thinner insoles?  Your post confused me.  I have all-leather insoles from Klingbeil and they're very thin.  I also have extra-thick ones that are glued to thick soft foam.  You can't cut down the leather because it's under the foam.  Confusing.

Are they too tight, so you want to put in a thinner insole?  You can trace them and send the tracing to Klingbeil, asking for thinner replacement insoles.  Our local skate guru uses a belt sander to level and thin boot soles, but I don't know how safe it would be to use it on an insole.  The operator might skin his knuckles.  He also does boot stretching and is a Klingbeil supplier.  Check with Klingbeil to see who's good in your area.

I would suggest SuperFeet Yellow skating insoles (from sporting goods stores) but they're a little thicker than Klingbeils' insoles.  You could ask the pro shop about buying Jackson replacement insoles.  They're not expensive and they're thin foam.  (We did that when we bought a pair of used skates.)  Or you can just buy an athletic insole from a running or sporting goods store.  Buy a larger size and use your current insoles as templates to trim them to size.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 01:22:34 PM »
Our skate shop sold us leather insoles with dd's new skates. They were very thin, but helped the fit.  She wore them on top of the insoles the skates came with.  Then as her foot needed more room, we took them out.  Then we took out the ones that were made in the skates.  Skating on the stitches doesn't bother her.  Anyway, they were cut to her size.

Offline rosereedy

• Defrosting Da Toes
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 01:29:00 PM »
Sorry if my post was word vomit.  Too many thoughts at once!!  What I need is thinner insoles.  The current ones I have are a super thick leather.  I would like to get them sanded down maybe.  They don't have any foam on them so that's not a problem.  The skates aren't too tight but about 2 mm too short at my 2nd toe which is super abnormally long.  All my other toes are a perfect fit in the boot and everything else in the boot is a perfect fit.  My old SP Teri had these awesome paper thin insoles.  Wish I could get my hands on those again.  

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 01:38:03 PM »
I have Morton's toe as well.  I don't think the insole will resolve that problem; you need that spot punched out.

OR, you may need to seat your heel back further in the boot.  Do you force it back against the backstrap all the way?
If not, try that before lacing up - it'll move your foot back to the proper position and buy you some space in front.

Thanks to Plantar Fasciitis in both feet, I haven't had Klings without leather-and-foam insoles in many years.  I've never seen extra-thick leather insoles, although I do love the feel of leather under my foot.  I'll have to ask him to do that on top instead of underneath the cushion next time.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 01:39:28 PM »
I skated for a few months in ultra thin insoles in the forefoot. Actually, they were little more than a piece of cloth. The stitching didn't bother me, but then some metal thing started coming up through the boot in a place I couldn't pound it down. I just shoved in a piece of commercial foam insole. Works fine.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline rosereedy

• Defrosting Da Toes
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 02:45:32 PM »
I have Morton's toe as well.  I don't think the insole will resolve that problem; you need that spot punched out.

OR, you may need to seat your heel back further in the boot.  Do you force it back against the backstrap all the way?
If not, try that before lacing up - it'll move your foot back to the proper position and buy you some space in front.

Thanks to Plantar Fasciitis in both feet, I haven't had Klings without leather-and-foam insoles in many years.  I've never seen extra-thick leather insoles, although I do love the feel of leather under my foot.  I'll have to ask him to do that on top instead of underneath the cushion next time.

My heel is all the way back against the strap.  I wonder if they can even really punch out a spot the size of a big blueberry in the very front of the skate.  That's the ONLY spot that is giving me trouble.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 03:00:22 PM »
I have a friend with lumpy skates, so yes, they can punch out a spot.

Offline blue111moon

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 07:49:00 AM »
I have the longer second toe issue and Klingbeils.  Don made the boot to fit my longest toe.  Thinner insoles will do nothing to increase the length of the boot.

Call Don.  Even if you can't go to him, you can ship the skates and he'll fix them and ship them back.  It takes about a week.

Offline rosereedy

• Defrosting Da Toes
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 11:54:55 AM »
I have the longer second toe issue and Klingbeils.  Don made the boot to fit my longest toe.  Thinner insoles will do nothing to increase the length of the boot.

Call Don.  Even if you can't go to him, you can ship the skates and he'll fix them and ship them back.  It takes about a week.

Yeah I think that is what I am going to have to do at this point.  Although I did put new insoles in my skates and glory praise all that is HOLY they are awesome.  Keeping insoles and getting skates stretched a tiny bit.  Then they should be great again.