You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: New boots/blades  (Read 3793 times)

Offline JHarer

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 34
New boots/blades
« on: May 22, 2011, 03:30:27 PM »
I ordered my new boots and blades on Friday. The fitter recommended (and I ordered) the Riedell 435ts boot and Ultima Matrix Legacy blade, but I was not expecting to spend as much as I did  :-\.

I had been looking at the Jackson Freestyle boot/blade combo, but the fitter stated my feet are not only wide but fat (he didn't say fat, that's my phrasing), and Riedell would be a better fit. He didn't have the boot in stock so I didn't try anything on. I am excited for them to come in, but what if they don't fit?

With how much I spent, I need these skates to fit perfectly and last forever.

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
Re: New boots/blades
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 04:10:48 PM »
Really? he recommended Riedell over Jackson for wide feet? Interesting! Riedell skates are typically more narrow then Jackson skates. Interesting! Obviously a fitter knows more then I do and it just goes to show that everyone has different feet and how important it is to get fit by someone qualified to fit figure skates. :) Good luck!

Offline TheAquarian

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 04:25:03 PM »
I use the Jackson Premier with the Matrix Legacy blade and love it.    I don't have much of a basis for comparison since these are my first skates,  although I can say that I certainly don't have any complaints.
Pawn takes queen; reality check mate.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 04:44:47 PM »
but I was not expecting to spend as much as I did  

It sounds like he took you up a few levels on the blade. If you had been looking at the freestyle combo- that is a better blade than what comes on the boot.  The Ultima Mirage, which comes on the Freestyle is a $60-80 blade.  Lots of skaters have the Matrix Legacy at our rink, they are the next step up from Mirage (after Mirage I went to the Paramount mid-level, which is similar)

I can't speak to the boot, as I don't know anything about Reidell, but I'm also surprised as the common thought is that Reidells are for narrow feet. But looking at the picture on Rainbo Sports it looks like that is a MUCH nicer boot than the Jackson Freestyle, even nicer than the Competitor.  The padding on it looks excellent, assuming it's not too stiff for you. (I have no idea what your skating level is, but I assume fairly low if you were thinking of the Freestyle.)  It sounds like it is a lightweight boot too- which is a nice feature.  If you are a lower level adult, it should last a pretty good amount of time.

Offline MadMac

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 38
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 04:52:13 PM »
Add me to those very surprised at the fitter's recommendation. Maybe Reidell has modified something that we are not aware of??
When the skates come in, it would be wise to try on some other boots in addition to the Reidells so you can compare. Does the fitter have anything in stock in Jackson or SP Teri maybe?

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 05:44:05 PM »
I too am surprised by the recommendation of Riedell over Jackson... going by measurements on just the size charts, Jacksons run wider and not only are they wider but my personal experience is that the toe box is "taller" than other brands which means more room for those of us with "fat" feet :)

I wear Jacksons and love them.. aside from an issue related to the tongue lining (not fit related at all) they've been absolutely perfect... far better for my feet than even the SP-Teri customs I used to skate in were... mostly due to the achilles padding and the pre-punched ankles.. which is where I always had problems with my boots before.

Have you measured your feet yourself.. do you have a ballpark for what size your feet really are?  Length/width charts are available online for most brands of boots... you can get a "general" idea of what might work for your feet that way.  To see a fitter recommend something that goes against what most people have to say about a brand seems a little off to me personally... it might be that his profit margin is better with Riedell over the others.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 09:30:33 PM »
Riedell makes wide widths. So, you may have measured to one of the "wide widths" on Riedell.  They fit differently than Jacksons, not necessarily "narrower" - they are different in the heel, the toe box is different, etc etc etc.  Plus, there is that split width thing happening. Now, an AA Riedell may be narrower than a AA Jackson ... but, that may mean that you just order a A in the Riedell vs a AA in the Jackson.  A guy skater with nice E width feet who I know has Riedells - as do a few females with what would be considered wide feet - but, they have Riedell "feet" and so they fit Riedell skates. We also found the toe box on the Riedells to be higher due to the open throat design they now have on all of their skates ...

Riedells should fit tight when you get them. If you get them and they feel "comfy" they are too large. They have an interior lining that fits to your feet over about 2 or so weeks of skating; at that point, they will be comfortable. If they are "comfy" at initial fitting, they will be too loose after they have molded to your foot on the inside.

Riedell has their own custom skate fitting device.  It works well. 

It's like street shoes, depending on the manufacturer, I wear anything from a size 6 to a size 7-1/2, and sometimes a AAA and sometimes a B ... I just happen to know what brands fit my feet ...

I am baffled by the Matrix blade though, those are expensive;  we debated getting them because of the benefits of being able to get "extra" blades for swapping out to save trips to the skate sharpener ... but, decided it wasn't worth the extra cost.  Our skate guy basically  proposes them only when someone is a) done foot growing and b) is planning on staying in the same blade for a long time, because you only have to replace the runner when the edge is gone in a couple of years ... did they explain why the Matrix version????

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 10:01:20 PM »
If I understand it correctly- this particular matrix blade is the lowest level blade.  It actually doesn't have a removable runner- it's screwed in permanently.  So you get the benefits of the lightweight blade, and I think the stainless steel blades (which paramounts lowest level doesn't have) but not of the sharpening benefits that matrix blades have.

It's about the same price as a coronation ace, a little more expensive- but you can get colors, and the "light weight" thing.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 10:21:18 PM »
If I understand it correctly- this particular matrix blade is the lowest level blade.  It actually doesn't have a removable runner- it's screwed in permanently.  So you get the benefits of the lightweight blade, and I think the stainless steel blades (which paramounts lowest level doesn't have) but not of the sharpening benefits that matrix blades have.

It's about the same price as a coronation ace, a little more expensive- but you can get colors, and the "light weight" thing.

You're right ... sorry about that ... we were looking at the higher end ones, so, I didn't realize that these ones were permanently affixed.  But, you know, you can also get an Ace-type blade from Jackson - which makes the Matrix stuff - with the Lites !  (which are so pretty ...) and also 30% lighter in weight :)  We're showing in Canadian dollars $80 cheaper for the regular Legacy vs. the Matrix ones ... not sure what the price difference is in the US. 

Offline JHarer

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 12:00:43 AM »
It sounds like he took you up a few levels on the blade. If you had been looking at the freestyle combo- that is a better blade than what comes on the boot.  The Ultima Mirage, which comes on the Freestyle is a $60-80 blade.  Lots of skaters have the Matrix Legacy at our rink, they are the next step up from Mirage (after Mirage I went to the Paramount mid-level, which is similar)

I can't speak to the boot, as I don't know anything about Reidell, but I'm also surprised as the common thought is that Reidells are for narrow feet. But looking at the picture on Rainbo Sports it looks like that is a MUCH nicer boot than the Jackson Freestyle, even nicer than the Competitor.  The padding on it looks excellent, assuming it's not too stiff for you. (I have no idea what your skating level is, but I assume fairly low if you were thinking of the Freestyle.)  It sounds like it is a lightweight boot too- which is a nice feature.  If you are a lower level adult, it should last a pretty good amount of time.

My intention with the Freestyle boot/blade combo had been to save up and switch the blade relatively soon. I was interested in the Eclipse Volante Blade. It was the cost of the boot that caught me off guard. I just started in FS1, I wasn't sure for a long time if I wanted to jump or not, since I am an adult skater and an injury would mean lost time at work. Like I mentioned I expect these boots to last forever  :)

When the skates come in, it would be wise to try on some other boots in addition to the Reidells so you can compare. Does the fitter have anything in stock in Jackson or SP Teri maybe?

Yep, the fitter carries Jackson, Harlick and SP Teri, but he doesn't have D width in stock on anything.

Have you measured your feet yourself.. do you have a ballpark for what size your feet really are?  Length/width charts are available online for most brands of boots... you can get a "general" idea of what might work for your feet that way.  To see a fitter recommend something that goes against what most people have to say about a brand seems a little off to me personally... it might be that his profit margin is better with Riedell over the others.

I did measure my feet, because I had purchased a pair of Jackson Freestyles in C width and they were too tight. My current skates are recreational riedells and they fit really well, but they are wide width and have the pinky toe punched out.

I am baffled by the Matrix blade though, those are expensive;  we debated getting them because of the benefits of being able to get "extra" blades for swapping out to save trips to the skate sharpener ... but, decided it wasn't worth the extra cost.  Our skate guy basically  proposes them only when someone is a) done foot growing and b) is planning on staying in the same blade for a long time, because you only have to replace the runner when the edge is gone in a couple of years ... did they explain why the Matrix version????

Yep the runner is screwed in permanently. He showed me the Legacy and the Matrix legacy, there was a $70 difference between the two and I liked that the Matrix was lighter. From what I was told, it should hold the sharpening pretty well, at least longer than the blade I'm currently in. I was enthralled by the pink blade, and now I am hoping that I won't end up regretting it.

Mostly I am sitting on pins and needles waiting for it the boots to arrive!

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 08:04:38 AM »
I spent extra for pink blades too :)

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 06:10:56 PM »
My current skates are recreational riedells and they fit really well, but they are wide width and have the pinky toe punched out.

I'm another who was surprised that Reidell was considered "wide" againt Jackson, but if you already have Reidells and their stock "wide" boot is comfy for you with minimal adjustment (you only punched the pinky toe), it looks like you have a "Reidell" foot.

Bet you can't wait!  How long before they arrive?