You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: overpronation  (Read 1883 times)

Offline Sushi

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 8
overpronation
« on: May 27, 2011, 09:31:47 AM »
I'm having issues with going on the RO edge because of pronation. I never knew that I pronate until now and that my right foot is worst than my left. The skate tongue used to twist to the outside of my ankle until I got yellow Superfeet insoles. Before having the insoles the left side didn't moved that much but the right twisted so much the tongue started to hurt the side of my ankle.

I have difficulty doing:
•forward crossovers clockwise. Going on RO edge feels weird, I'm sure I"m not getting an edge so I can't get the under-push. I have no problem going counterclockwise.
•CW backwards crossovers, I can't get on the RO edge so it scraps the ice.
•waltz jump- at my last private lesson with my coach she said I was landing on the RI edge and I know I'm suppose to land on the RO edge.
•forward perimeter stroking- I notice I don't push with my left leg as much as my right leg, sometimes it feels like I didn't push at all or just barely.
•Off ice doing spiral- I find it easier to balance on my left leg than right. Both of my feet roll back and forth but it's worst on on right.

My skates don't hurt my feet. I purchased my skates, new Riedell Gold Medallion 300 (with mk21 blades), off of ebay last year and I had them heat molded.

How can I fix this problem? Is there a pro shop that you can recommended in the Mid-Hudson Valley area or NYC? I going to ask my coach where she goes at my next lesson, I think she goes to NJ.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: overpronation
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 12:28:10 PM »
I have post wedges in both of my skates (I needed more of an angle on the right side than the left) as well as extra arch support in both as well - it's the only way I could stop it.  My old boots had nothing extra in them other than what was provided in the boots when new and as a result they ended up twisted... I am sure the pair I had before those looked pretty similar, but it was VERY obvious when I took the blades off to mount them on my new boots, the tops of my old boots actually leaned way outwards.  I'm actually 99% convinced that pronation and compensating with my body (knees and hips) rather than modifying my boots to properly align my ankles with my knees and hips contributed to my tearing my ACL in 1996 (on ice).  I have much less ongoing knee pain with proper foot support as well.. I have OA in that knee now as a result of surgery, so proper foot alignment will also do a lot to reduce additional degeneration.

I would really suggesting talking to a good fitter - definitely ask your coach who she recommends.  Heat molding and superfeet insoles don't really do anything to address pronating.  They can certainly help with fit and comfort, but there's much more to it than that - some people even need orthotics in their skates, however there isn't much that orthotics can do that can't be matched with other types of modification.

Offline MadMac

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 38
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 01:26:37 PM »
Check also the fit of your skates. Too large will contribute to a pronation problem. You say you bought them on e-bay -- have you been measured by a good skate tech?  
A double hook placed on the center of the tongue can really help eliminate twisting. Lace around the hook from both directions before continuing to lace to the top.  Hope this might help :)

Offline Sushi

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 02:29:26 PM »
I haven't been measured by a skate tech. I don't think my skates are too big length wise, my foot/toes don't slide forward. Width wise they feel fine, if the were too narrow or too wide I would be getting tons of blisters but I never got blisters from my skates. I don't wear bunga pads, just thin polyester socks from kmart.