You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Rink Ceilings  (Read 2780 times)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Rink Ceilings
« on: May 09, 2011, 08:40:50 AM »
Almost every rink in our area now has a lowered rink ceiling that has shiny foil insulation.  While I hate losing the height of the ceilings, I understand the benefits and energy savings.  One thing I've noticed is that the rink is brighter because the foil reflects light back down onto the skating spaces.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
  • Total GOE: 72
Re: Rink Ceilings
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 08:49:21 AM »
Our rink still is big and open...problem is that the beams are rusted and the rust falls on the ice :(

Offline MadMac

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 38
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 10:07:51 AM »
The first time I skated under one of these foil ceilings it was so low I felt almost claustrophobic. Some of the more recently modified facilities seem to be mindful of that and are placing the new ceiling a bit higher.  MUCH BETTER!!  They even have room for pairs lifts! imagine that.  ;)

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 12:44:45 PM »
Our rink still is big and open...problem is that the beams are rusted and the rust falls on the ice :(

I don't think either of our rinks is really old enough to have major rust problems, but one of them (the newest!) has a serious MOLD issue... they've been working to fix the source of the extra moisture, but it's still gross to look at, not to mention any potential health effects it might have.

Offline MadMac

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 38
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 01:18:06 PM »
Mold YUK!  Not fun to deal with. The health dept. does not demand it be cleaned up???

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 02:08:55 PM »
My guess is that no inspector has seen it yet and no one's reported it.  We had a brief mold problem when our roof was leaking.  They fixed the roof and really cleaned out the storage space that was affected by the leak.  We haven't had a problem.

I'm a human mold detector - horribly allergic to the stuff - within minutes of being near it, the unmistakeable symptoms start.  (Itchy, swollen eyes, stuffy head, runny nose.  The worst part is the coughing and choking.  The breathing trouble is really scary.)
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 370
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 04:44:49 PM »
Our seasonal rink is not insulated at all. It's basically a quonset-hut style building with an arched, corrugated metal roof/ceiling. Note the condensation rust on the cross beams.

Between leaks and condensation in warm, humid weather, ice bumps can be severe. This photo was made a few years back. I do believe that they got the dehumidifier working a little better since it was taken...

Bill Schneider

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 04:53:40 PM »
Mold YUK!  Not fun to deal with. The health dept. does not demand it be cleaned up???

I don't know that it has been inspected, however the rink management is actually working hard to fix the problem.. it's a fairly new facility, only 3 or so years old (the other is about 16 years old now, and it's built a bit differently, so that the outside are is separated from the ice surface by a roomed off area).  Part of the problem is though that we're in hot and humid TX.. and the rink is obviously kept cold.  No amount of insulation or dehumidifiers can really fix the fact that there are doors that open directly to the outside, and it's on that wall and part of the ceiling where the most moisture tends to collect.  Lots of people are aware of the problem, but I don't think anyone is too upset (yet) because they are working on fixing it.

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 01:48:01 PM »
One rink near me uses ceiling tile. The parts of the ceiling that are low enough get lots of holes and dents from high flying hockey pucks. Bet the foil gets the same thing.

Mostly, I just look at the ice. Couldn't care less about the ceiling. Unless they use the disco lighting, which is distracting. But would love mirrored walls.