You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Where to Buy Fabric for Dresses, etc.?  (Read 4001 times)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Where to Buy Fabric for Dresses, etc.?
« on: March 05, 2011, 11:42:18 PM »
I love going to fabric stores, but the ones near me have very limited selections of stretch knits and never any stretch velvet.

I really miss going into Manhattan and buying a few yards wholesale in midtown.

Someone told me that there are some online places to buy these specialty fabrics.  Any recommendations?
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
Re: Where to Buy Fabric for Dresses, etc.?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 08:39:33 AM »
For online orders, I use either Fabric Depot or Action Fabrics.  Fabric Depot is based out of Texas.  They have tons of colors of lycra and mesh, and I've ordered their swatches, so they're usually my first choice when I'm trying to match a particular color.  Action Fabrics is in the Chicago area.  I'm close enough that I prefer to go there in person when I can, because then I can lay fabrics and trims on top of each other.  They'll send swatches in a specified color palette.  I've also used Carol's Fabric Shop out of Ohio when I've run across them at competitions.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 12:57:39 PM »
Spandex world also has a very wide selection of colors, and they carry a variety of stuff.  If you wanted glissinette to match regular spandex or stretch velvet, they probably have what you need :)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 04:31:35 PM »
I have this beautiful fabric that DD fell in love with, but it's tie-dye green satin the color of Peridot.  Doesn't stretch a bit.

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/zoomImagedetail.jsp?CATID=cat3063&PRODID=zprd_01987841a&imgPos=5421&imageType=z&itemType=product

Do you think the pattern is too busy? 
Can I somehow match the color with lycra or another stretch fabric to make a bodysuit and use this for the skirt and perhaps the sleeves?
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline Purple Sparkly

• CER-A
  • Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 65
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 01:52:15 PM »
I have this beautiful fabric that DD fell in love with, but it's tie-dye green satin the color of Peridot.  Doesn't stretch a bit.

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/zoomImagedetail.jsp?CATID=cat3063&PRODID=zprd_01987841a&imgPos=5421&imageType=z&itemType=product

Can I somehow match the color with lycra or another stretch fabric to make a bodysuit and use this for the skirt and perhaps the sleeves?
Are you sure that is the correct swatch?  It looked peridot but not very tie-dyed.  It looked like a fabric from the occasion fabrics that you would use for prom dresses and such.  Maybe the picture just didn't capture the tie-dyed-ness well.

It doesn't look too busy to me and could work as a skirt.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 03:55:45 PM »
It is special occasion fabric. Satin to be precise.  It is tie-dye pattern, but in long swirls, as if the fabric were folded instead of twisted/knotted before dyeing.
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 03:02:56 PM »

I second Spandex World. They have a wide variety of fabric and I bet you could find something that works. :) Good luck! They will send swatches too.

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 06:10:08 PM »
not the same color... but this is pretty. I've seen it in person too and it is very pretty. It is quite thin, however.

http://spandexworld.com/c3/catalog/product/3636

Not sure how this would work.... again not exact but pretty.

http://spandexworld.com/c3/catalog/product/5465

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 09:06:20 PM »
Just another one to toss in the mix...

http://performancewearfabrics.com/

I just got her sample set this week (yes, it is worth the $29) and OMG.. I'm going to have a really hard time narrowing down what I want to order just to make a test dress!  Not to mention all the fun foiled lycras that my 5 year old is already begging me to buy to make her gymnastics leo's :D (since having 6 or 7 already isn't enough!)

It's money well spend IMO.. I'm a very tactile person and I like to be able to see/feel what I'm going to buy, especially when it's for something important.  An added bonus is that there are easily two dozen different shades of "nude" sheer fabric (in glissenette and mesh).. I found a perfect match for me (I am pasty white with pink undertones - most "nude" shades look very orange on me), and I bet almost anyone could find one perfect for them too :)

Offline tazsk8s

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 25
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 10:38:23 AM »
I also use performancewearfabrics.com.  Her prices are decent and she is very prompt and helpful.  If you do a lot of sewing the sample set is very helpful.  I've used spandexworld too, they're fine, but I usually don't have enough time to request specific swatches, look at them, and then buy the real thing.  The color on the monitor (at least, my monitor) definitely varies from what you see in person...I've bought what I thought was light pink only to have it arrive and have it be light purple instead!