You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Learn to Sew Tips and Planned Projects  (Read 9165 times)

Offline MimiG

• CER-A
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
Re: Learn to Sew Tips and Planned Projects
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2011, 09:34:23 PM »
I have a dance dress with a velvet skirt (and it's right down to my knees in the back, with a scattering of rhinestones even) and it's definitely my heaviest dress, particularly noticeable to me on twizzles and such, but it doesn't look heavy in the videos I've seen of me in it and I've gotten tons of compliments on it. It did take me a bit to get used to the weight of the skirt on turns though...

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2011, 12:14:04 AM »
The first skating dress I ever sewed was a sleeveless cheerleading dress.  I used non-stretch forest green velvet and wore a black bodysuit underneath.  I strung bugle beads diagonal down the front with some shiny, bright appliques.

It was heavy, but I loved that dress.  I just realized that I recreated the beading pattern last year when I doctored up a plain black dress.  For that one, I used swarovski crystals and the pattern was more bold.

Check the bolt label for cleaning instructions.  Many velvets are dry-clean only.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2011, 03:20:00 PM »
I learned a trick for that, maybe it was from skate@delaware, I'm not sure.

Cut the thread that's already in the lower bobbin and leave a long tail, then tie the new thread on and pull it through.  It threads through all the way to the needle.  You have to pull it up and cut the knot/old thread off, but a needle threader makes that a little easier. 

I also have a pair of really long tweezers - probably about 6-8" long.  They were my FIL's.  He sold sewing machines and supplies, so he had all this sewing stuff in his house.  They work great for getting at the lower parts of the serger.

Congrats!

Thanks! I did leave the thread, threaded and pulled the new color through, but as luck would have it, my tie came undone on the worst spot to re-thread! The lower looper. LOL! Thanks again, I love the serger. I have been making dd's skating pants and it has been fun. I am going to work on a dress this weekend. we might actually attempt to paint this one! :)

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2011, 03:26:41 PM »
Thanks!! I will try a threader!