You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Is this appropriate to wear?  (Read 5758 times)

Offline 1210

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 7
Is this appropriate to wear?
« on: February 01, 2011, 09:36:46 PM »
This is probably a really silly question so bare with me! I've just started skating with a coach at a really nice indoor rink (that also has an AWESOME fitness center!!) Before this I have been skaitng at a public rink and I usually wear thick leggings that go over my boots, a sweatshirt, thermals, etc. But the indoor rink is a LOT warmer, and I was wondering if it would be appropriate to buy a pair of skate tights and a practice skirt or something to wear for practices! I prefer not to use my day to day clothes when I skate because I don't want to ruin them. However, I'm not exactly a professional, still at the basics (right now working on backwards crossovers, one foot glides and two foot spins.) Would I look silly wearing nice figure skating clothes? Or can I rightfully wear them?

For those not sure what I am talking about, I'm talking about these:
http://www.tidewaterice.com/mondortights.htm

I'd prefer to have a pair in like black, not the skin color.

What do you guys think?
Thanks
lady

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Re: Is this appropriate to wear?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 12:40:07 AM »
There is a thread in the archive called "Tights, skirts, and a mental block". To quote Doubletoe from the thread

doubletoe
08-10-2006, 12:48 PM
...I was just afraid *other* people might judge me because I was wearing a skating skirt when I didn't even have all of my single jumps yet. In my experience (now 12 years later), I don't think most people judge anyone negatively for wearing skating skirts, even when they are relative beginners. And that was actually my point, that most people really aren't going to care what you wear while you're practicing and won't judge you for it.

In my opinion no one with ballet training will look silly in nice figure skating apparel because the posture will just shine through. On the other hand, many skaters choose to wear (thin) leggings instead of tights for practice. So give them a try and see which one you like better, or which one makes you feel more comfortable at the rink you practice at! :D

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 03:59:36 AM »
Two thoughts, if you don't really want to wear skating clothes just yet and don't want to wear street clothes, just buy some leggings for skating in and a top. These can be your skating clothes for the time being (most of my tops are just regular tops that I wear for skating and so I think of them as skating tops).

Alternativel, as a coach once said to me, if you're wearing nice skating clothes it puts you in the right frame of mind for skating and can actually aid the learning process. It makes you think you're about to undertake an athletic activity. You wouldn't go down the gym wearing jeans so why should skating be any different?

And if you do start wearing a skating skirt and tights at this stage, you won't have a mental problem putting them on later. I used to be very self conscious skating in a skirt. I then made a mental decision that I was going to do it, and made sure every time I stepped on the ice after that I was wearing a skirt. I'm now not self conscious and switch back and forth between skirts and leggings without issue and wear what suits my mood (although always a skirt for dance).

Offline jumpingbeansmom

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 60
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 08:42:47 AM »
My daughter wears under armour pants-- like the running ones.

Offline 1210

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 08:27:07 PM »
Thanks so much for the responses, all!
Here's another question: What will my coach say if I jsut show up one day in tights? Will she make a comment, should I ask her if it's okay for me to wear tights?

Thanks! :)

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 08:32:42 PM »
Here's another question: What will my coach say if I jsut show up one day in tights? Will she make a comment, should I ask her if it's okay for me to wear tights?

You can wear whatever the heck you want. If she says anything it'll probably be a compliment. Coaches aren't going to discriminate based on your choice of clothing :)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 08:54:48 PM »
LOL I think coaches usually like it when skaters wear tights or well-fit leggings, so they can see the lines better.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 08:55:11 PM »

Well, if you turn up in JUST tights ... I would think that she would make a comment :)  Be sure to pull a skirt over top!  Actually, most coaches are very approving of skaters moving into workable skating gear; it shows that you are serious, whether it's skirt and tights or leggings.   Just as an aside, though: were your skates fitted with socks?  Tights are typically thinner and fit differently. If your skates were fitted with thick socks, then, you will find a difference in the fit.  You may also find that it "feels different" when you skate. If this is a concern, then, you can get over-the-boot tights or stirrups or footless: you can still wear your usual socks/whatever, but, the tights will go over top.

Offline 1210

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 09:20:21 PM »
Yeah lol obviously I wouldn't show up in just tights ;) Most skaters I see at the rink wear tights (OTB, which is probably what I'll get as my tongue in my skate move around and it bugs me when they are perfect center, so I usually put my leggings over my skates) and little black spandex shorts (which I already have from ballet so I would probably wear those.)

Anyone have any recommendations on OTB tights? I'd probably like a thicker tight. I was considering the Mondor Bamboo?

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 06:05:30 AM »
Don't like the bamboo tights. Consensus among our skaters are that they run too fast, and they are an unattractive flat beige colour.

Offline 1210

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 05:02:22 PM »
Don't like the bamboo tights. Consensus among our skaters are that they run too fast, and they are an unattractive flat beige colour.

Ok. Do you have any reccomendations for tights? I was drawn to the bamboo as it looked like they would be thicker.

Offline pikachu314

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 0
  • Pikachu skates!
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 02:47:41 PM »
yeah, if anyone has reccomendations for a nice practice tight I'm all ears! I'd probably go for footless though - save holes in the tights when I make lutz marks in my right skate's toe area. . .  ;)
ice ice baby

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 03:41:56 PM »
The Mondor T3371 ones wear like iron; they wash and wash, they're warm-ish and practical.  They cost more, but, they are sturdy, and they don't run if you get a snag. That's the model number for the full foot ones ... they also come in OTB (T3372) and stirrup (T3374) too. Not sure about footless ... our supplier doesn't list them.

Offline drskater

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 50
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 05:34:05 PM »
I like to wear Mondor tights with another pair of footless tights over the top. In winter, I use these underneath stirrup skating pants for warmth. I am not exactly a high level skater but I do go through (i.e. destroy) about five pairs a year, so don't worry about perserving your new tights.

I really think any kind of true skating wear looks good on a skater no matter her or his level. I'm getting fussy in my middle-age, and I don't like to look at skaters in jeans or hoodies (actually some clubs forbid these outfits). I always breathe a sigh of relief when I see a new skater show up in athletic clothing.

Offline JHarer

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 05:39:19 PM »
I don't like to look at skaters in jeans or hoodies (actually some clubs forbid these outfits). I always breathe a sigh of relief when I see a new skater show up in athletic clothing.

I am guilty of wearing that exact outfit. Because I am slighty on the heavy side I
feel too self conscious in form fitting athletic clothes. It's one thing to wear them for a show or competition, but for practice I am much more comfortable in jeans.