You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Boot rot questions  (Read 4165 times)

Offline LunarSkater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 213
Boot rot questions
« on: June 13, 2016, 10:43:56 PM »
This came up on a different thread, but I didn't want to hijack it.

I am having issues with one of my boots rotting. The soles were waterproofed when I bought them used and I have reapplied it since. Yet water still gets in, even though the blade is flush to the leather. It was honestly squishing when I got off the ice on Saturday and flecks of brown come off my boot while I'm skating.

I've been slowly looking into new boots due to fit and support concerns, but now especially with this issue I know I need them sooner rather than later. So I'm curious - how long am I able to safely skate on them? Is there anything I can do to maintain them without further deterioration?

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
Re: Boot rot questions
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 07:14:56 AM »
No one can answer this question without a thorough inspection [both visually and careful poking with a probe (such as a fingernail, pencil, or screwdriver)].  So you should have them checked out by a skate tech.  Also depends on your level of skating, particularly spins and jumps.  With sole rot, an immediate concern is the screws not being firmly anchored and the blades becoming loose or even detached.  So at least check to see whether your screws are tight.  I check my screws before each session.

A proper inspection will also require that the blades be removed to get a good look at the areas of the sole under the sole plate and heel plate.  Even though the plates may appear to be nominally flush, water can still seep in (besides which, water can still seep in under the plates from the areas of the sole outside the plates).

Did you know what protectant was initially applied [especially if you bought them used, you might not know the history]?  What protectant did you apply?  In general, you don't want to mix two different types.  Also, when you did your application, did you remove the blades first?

Do the brown flecks appear to be chunks of leather or flakes of varnish or paint?

And, as in the other thread, are you drying your skates thoroughly?

What boots (make and model) are they?  At one time I followed the recommendation of one coach (who also sold skates as a sideline) and didn't apply any protectant to the boots (Riedell Royal at the time; we're talking about relatively high-end boots with some degree of factory treatment, not totally untreated leather).  I had no problem with premature sole rot (the uppers wore out first).  But I'm very scrupulous about drying off my boots and blades thoroughly.  And I don't skate on ice with water puddles either.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 09:37:29 AM »
ITA - if the blade screws aren't affected, you can continue to use the skates.  If the skates had a varnish or polyurethane finish originally, the snoseal won't work well.  It can't penetrate the leather.  Try letting the skates dry really well, then lightly sand the areas before heating to apply the snoseal.  It might get past the finish.  Or, instead of using snoseal, use skate varnish to fend off further damage.  The waxy snoseal might interfere but it could resolve the issue entirely.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 11:25:32 PM »
Do you store your boots in the air, or do you leave it in a bag, or your trunk, etc.? Open air is overwhelmingly better.

As mentioned in the other thread, if you let your soakers get wet, and you store the blades in a wet soaker, that could be the problem.

Even if the soles get wet, if they dry off immediately after skating, and are stored in the open air, I don't see how they could rot - unless they are stored in a high humidity environment. Does your house have an A/C  or dehumidifier? Do you leave the boots in the car, or in a wet basement?

BTW, do your feet feel especially wet after skating? Your own sweat can rot leather - but not, I think, the bottom of the outsole.

Offline Matsumoto

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 10:18:09 AM »
For sole rot prevention, I put a thin layer of sno-seal on the plates of the blade when first mounting them to the boots.  When the blades are tightened down, the excess squeezes out the sides and it provides a good seal to prevent water from getting trapped in between the sole and the blade mount.  Over time, more will slowly squeeze out with usage but the screws just need to be checked periodically to be sure they are tight.

Offline LunarSkater

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 04:51:55 PM »
Thank you, everyone! I'm sorry it's taken so long to get back to you (crazy schedule the past few weeks), but you've given me a lot to think about.

The boots are Reidell, unknown model. I'm thinking either Bronze Star or their dance boot though neither are quite correct. I didn't really care at that point - I needed new boots fast because my old ones were massively huge on me to the point of danger and these fit almost perfectly at first. The coach I bought them from had thoroughly waterproofed the soles with Sno-Seal and I've kept it up. My screws are still tight - I do check that. They came loose once ages ago and I swore never again.

Oh - I'm only having this problem with one of my boots. Should have mentioned that earlier. I think a big part of my problem is that there is a massive ding in the leather right next to the tip of the blade plate. As much as I've filled it in, water keeps getting through somehow.

I wipe off my blades and let them sit for a bit before toweling them dry. I store them in soakers. My Transpack is pretty well ventilated. I live in Florida and humidity is always a problem. I'm not having problems with the rest of the skate, outside or in, so I don't think it's due to my sweat.

The flecks - I can't tell if they're leather or something else. They fleck the ice when I skate for a long period of time. There are always streaks of brown on my towel once I finish drying my skates.

I have all my single jumps, starting axel prep, and fight with all my spins. It's actually the reason I knew I needed new boots because these won't take me much beyond the axel support-wise. I'm just wondering if with this issue that I need new skates now-oh-my-goodness or is it something that can be held off for a month or two?

I know I need to talk to a skate tech, but I don't really have one I trust. Unfortunately. I know who I can rely on to sharpen but not for much else. Comes from skating at a rink that has a small-but-steady figure skating component and a huge hockey presence.

Again, thank you for all your advice.

Offline Matsumoto

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 07:25:02 AM »
Comes from skating at a rink that has a small-but-steady figure skating component and a huge hockey presence.

I can completely relate to this comment.  It makes things difficult sometimes (on many fronts).

Offline Ethereal Ice

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 13
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 09:30:12 AM »
I don't know anything about how long you can continue to skate in them, it seems alarming that you are seeing brown every time you wipe the water off. I am too new to this to give an opinion on that issue, regardless.

That said, I have a feeling that the Florida humidity is a major issue. It sounds like you got a fissure in the boot sole, and it is now so deep that even with the sealant, it has continuined to erode. The humidity potentially plays a major role, never allowing the sole to completely dry. I knew your transpak is airing then well, until you get new skates, it also seems you need to make sure(and you may already be doing this) that they are stored in a room with as low a humidity as possible, Like air conditioned and in the house I guess. I use the silicone dessicant absorption inserts in my boots, I wonder if there is something you could rest against the sole like that to assist in drying, either part or all of the time they are in storage?

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 01:30:09 PM »
I think a big part of my problem is that there is a massive ding in the leather right next to the tip of the blade plate. As much as I've filled it in, water keeps getting through somehow.

Oh! Could de-mount the blade, re-Sno-Seal it, and re-mount? If water is getting past your original Sno-Seal, that could be the problem.

Or maybe you could remove the Sno-Seal (try a combination of alcohol and heat, because Sno-Seal is mostly Bee's wax), and use Silicone gasket sealer. It might fill space a bit better, and it won't wear off. (Though you can still ding it.)

If the boots are getting too large, you can use tape or adhesive foam under the insole to fill up the space. See my web page, below.

Offline LunarSkater

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 07:24:51 PM »
I'll try the re-Sno-Sealing first. I actually own that. :) If that doesn't help, I'll hunt down some silicone. As for the fit of the boots, they're not getting too large. They're actually too small in the ball of the foot; I need a split-width and these are AA. I'm also just plain outgrowing them support-wise for the jumps I'll be working on soon.

I never store my skates anywhere but inside the air-conditioned house. I hate leaving them in the car for any length of time if I have to run errands after I get off the ice. They're too expensive of an investment. Are those absorbent things the little packs that come in clothes pockets/new shoe boxes or are they something completely different?