You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Finding great coaches you connect with  (Read 3960 times)

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
Finding great coaches you connect with
« on: November 16, 2014, 11:29:02 PM »
I started skated again last March, after 10+ years off the ice.  Since, I have done group classes (1 term) and then went to one-on-one coaching.

I've worked with a few coaches and really am struggling to find one who I click with, isn't being a diva, paying attention to other students (and making comments about them) during our lesson and overall not spending time opining on drama at the rink.

So, how do YOU vet your coaches?  What do you look for?!  I haven't really clicked with anyone so I am back at group for a bit, to keep my toes wet....
Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
Re: Finding great coaches you connect with
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 01:05:29 AM »
I would love to know the answer lol! I was lucky that my group coach has a style that works for me. But, who's to know - I may click with someone else even better!

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 08:36:36 AM »
I took several series of adult group lessons at my rink and since each flight of lessons tended to have a different instructor, over the passage of time I got de facto introductions to the different personalities and teaching styles of many of the available coaches.   After a bit of personal rumination I approached the one who seemed the most patient and have not regretted the choice.  We started off with dance but after losing my partner, we switched to moves in the field.  Some coaches are more aggressive and push their students to do great things.  I'm a little more of a  deliberate (aka: "slow") learner so the restrained pace suits me just fine.  Bottom line: to thine own self be true. 

Another part of the equation is finding a mutually convenient time for your private lesson.  My coach lives at a distance from the rinks (she teaches at more than one location) and part of juggling her other private students, her new real job, plus her duties as a mom, etc. is that my lesson is currently at 7am on Saturday mornings (used to be at a more humane 9:30am until she got the new real job).  This means no warm up (Freestyle session starts at 7) so not ideal, but it's either that or not at all.  Actually, having no warm is probably a good thing:  my coach gets to see all my weaknesses before I have a chance to start compensating.

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 12:18:16 PM »
I think group lessons are a good way to get an initial read on a coaches teaching style and personality. However, group lessons may not always be an option and sometimes because of the way a group has to be taught, it may not be exactly the way they teach one on one.

There are a few ways I've heard/seen/done to go about finding the right coach. Some people take trial lessons from a number of coaches to see how they interact. This is done openly, with each coach understanding that you are taking trial lessons from different coaches. I know some coaches who prefer not to do this, but many are open to it.

Another option is to watch skaters you like at the rink. Someone that you like the technique, style, etc. Find out who their coach is and watch a session or two of them teaching. You can learn a lot by watching how they interact with their students during their lesson time.

I think it's also important to be up front with a coach and let them know your goals, what you expect, find out what they expect from you, etc. This gives them the chance to determine if you are the best fit for them while you are finding out if they are the best fit for you. Some coaches may be reluctant to work with adults, and some still don't really understand how adult skating all works. If testing or competing is important to you, then make sure they are either willing to learn about it or know something about it.

My primary coach has a contract that all of her skaters fill out and sign with her requirements up front, what is expected of us, and how payment and everything else works. If anything comes up, I know that I can talk to her and it won't be a problem. We have yearly goal meetings, and reassess as needed throughout the year. That works for me, it doesn't for other people.

Is there a skating director that you can talk to as well? Maybe they might have some insight if you sit down and express what you're looking for.

Offline mamabear

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 98
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 12:34:21 PM »
I think TreSk8sAZ has great advice.  I followed the group lesson route as well but I didn't move into private lessons until I had been doing group lessons for about 3 years.  Our rink is not large so during that time, I had the opportunity to have at least 1 lesson with all of the coaches.  I also observed private lessons with others so I would have an idea what I thought of the various coaching styles. 

With my daughter, she initially started out with a coach she had in group lessons.  That coach moved away but made a recommendation for her next coach and then that happened again.  I liked that they provided that help in figuring out where to go next.

Offline axelwylie

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 131
  • Passed Adult Gold Freestyle - Jan 2014
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 12:53:02 PM »
I think you need to first figure out what your learning style is and understand how you want to be taught. If you are a visual learner, you may want to work with someone who can demonstrate things. If you like to understand how things work, then you may be better suited with a coach who is more technical.

Also, do you like praise or would you rather have a no-nonsense coach who can offer criticism?

Once you figure out these things then it should be easier to identify which coaches match your needs.
Join my Skating Fridays blog posts at www.eva-bakes.com

Offline rachelplotkin

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 12:58:46 PM »
To the above advice I would add you need someone who is used to working with adults.  Being able to teach adults is a unique skill set and not everyone is suited to it.

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 12:06:58 AM »
Thanks for all your input!  I'm guess I just haven't clicked with anyone yet.  Going to try the coach from my group.  I do like her.  We'll see.  I like the idea of doing trials though.  May see if I can do that at this rink.

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 09:37:41 PM »
Are you skating at Chelsea piers? My coach also coaches there, though I have no idea what days. PM me if you want to know more.

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 06:51:22 PM »
You've got some great advice here. One thing I'd add is that it sometimes takes time to gel with someone so it may be worth sticking with a coach for a few months to see if you get used to one another.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 07:11:46 PM »
Watch lessons; if the coach's student is standing still for a substantial part of the lesson, something is wrong.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 12:48:05 AM »
Watch lessons; if the coach's student is standing still for a substantial part of the lesson, something is wrong.

watch multiple lessons with one coach. One skater might be standing still for a substantial part of the lesson for a good reason, which an outside observer wouldn't notice. If all that coach's skaters are standing still then there's probably something wrong.

Also in watching multiple lessons you can see how a coach behaves with different skaters. We're all unique, and in having private lessons we are paying to have a coach who is adaptive to how we learn. So a coach which demonstrates that they can adapt to each of us is more likely to demonstrate the learning style that you're looking for.

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2014, 12:01:33 AM »
Thanks everyone.  I missed all these responses for some reason.

@fsk8r great point.

In PT - a particular technique, the people who created the technique really stress that if the patient isn't getting what you are trying to teach/facilitate, it's the therapists responsibility to find a way the facilitate the goals you know they can achieve.  So if one way doesn't work, dig into your tool bag and try another.  Since I heard this (a million years ago) I've thought it is so true and try to always live by this.  And I appreciate it from others.  We're not cookie cutter and a teacher (of any kind) should have that toolkit and be able to shift based on the needs of their students.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2014, 01:42:49 PM »
I quietly watch them teach several students. Most of all, I want to see the students improve during the lesson. If the coach doesn't can't find a way to help, that is a bad sign. Sometimes I have also asked for advice from other skaters, but learning is such an individual thing, that that doesn't help much. One thing very definite - I would never use a coach who seemed in any way abusive. Yelling or getting mad at a student or another skater is seldom called for.

But after that, there is no substitute for trying a lesson.

If most of your experience was as a child, you may find your needs are different. You may be newly afraid of falling (get over it - by practice). Things you used to learn by watching may now need words too (very common). A technique that requires more flexibility than you can realistically attain may not work for you - I picked one coach because she looked super-graceful, but I later realized her techniques couldn't possibly work for me.

I personally do need a coach who can demo what I want to learn. Of course you can't tell whether they are doing everything right, but things that look good to the eye often are. For example, the coach should be able to skate with speed, power and grace. When not pushing speed to the limits, or doing jumps, their skates should be almost silent on the ice. My coaches must also be able to explain things in words - I love physics-style explanations. But that's just me.

Another thing you might possibly look for - if he/she will be choreographing routines, decide whether you like the routines he/she has choreographed for others. Is it interesting? If you have a strong sense of rhythm, do his/her routines employ music with a strong beat?

Then there is lesson price, convenience and available hours. Both of the coach, and of the rink(s) where the coach teaches. (Of course, it is not always a good sign if the coach is TOO available. Some of the best are hard to get.)

BTW, is one of your old coaches still available, in your area? Consider that.

Some (most?) of the coaches with elite level students show favoritism, giving most of their time to their most competitive students - especially before competitions. Decide whether you can live with that.

If you might want to do Ice Dance, you pretty much need a coach of the opposite gender. And then you also may want someone with the most common style, so you can skate with others. For example, since you are in the U.S., you probably want someone who, when the two skaters are facing each other in closed (Waltz) hold is usually directly opposite the other skater, and looks directly into the other skater's eyes. Yes, you can get closer body positions by offsetting the hold, but that is not really American standard, and is actually against what the USFS says is ideal in the rulebook. Also, you want a coach who can adapt to dancing with less skilled partners, and not making them look clumsy.

Another thing in ice dance or maybe pairs (I haven't done pairs) that might or might not matter is a skating style that roughly matches yours in certain respects. Specifically, some skaters lean and balance blades into the motion (lean forwards in forward skating, backwards in back - e.g., Davis and White), some lean and balance away from it (e.g., Virtue and Moir). Some turn their torso into and before turns, some counter-rotate. A coach can probably adapt to the latter, but the former may be too hard for them to change. (OTOH, Davis and White, and Virtue and Moir, had the same coaches at the end, and were quite successful, yet the two couples had very different dance styles.)

Finally, a lot of Dance and Pairs skaters have trouble finding partners. It is partly the coach's job to help - ask their students whether they succeed. And ask the coach whether they have rules about who their students can dance with, if you care. Many coaches say you can't dance with anyone they don't approve of first.

But really, you have to decide what you want in a coach.

I wouldn't ask a figure skating director, or someone at the front desk. They are not supposed to show favoritism by advocating someone. If I remember right, that was a PSA rule.

Good luck!