You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: National Skating Month 2012  (Read 2797 times)

Offline bambucci

• Teacher | Learner
  • Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 5
National Skating Month 2012
« on: January 17, 2012, 03:19:45 AM »
January is National Skating Month in the U.S. - What are your rinks doing to celebrate?

We were only able to muster free introductory lessons on a two-hour public session, intermittent with a few games and exhibitions.  Hockey was given an hour of ice time for a national 'Learn to Play Hockey' campaign last November.  Admittedly, we haven't had a lot of time to plan out a big ordeal, since our rink opened late September.  Our Club will be holding a pot luck to watch the dance and ladies finals at Nationals.

Here's to hoping we're able to do more next year!
β€œIn three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.” ― Robert Frost

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
Re: National Skating Month 2012
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 09:25:30 AM »
My club already held our event (without much fanfare although it was listed in this month's Skating magazine)...we had a skating exhibition on Dec 29th. It was fun and followed by a $3/2-hour "New Year" skate.
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 09:36:28 AM »
Our rink uses the MLK holiday to host their National Skating Month promotion.  The synchro teams and a few select singles skaters performed, the skating school offered free group lessons during the afternoon public session (with volunteer coaches) and the skating club had parents staff an information table for the rink programs and the Club activities.  It's always mobbed because of the free lessons and the kids being out of school.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 03:06:07 AM »
Ours is next weekend.  We hired a professional photographer to make a montage photo of all the club skaters.  We parents are also excited because we can also purchase photos of our kids in their nice dresses if we want them.  After photos, there will be an exhibition followed by open skate time.  We give the skaters their gift and have snacks.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 03:04:59 PM »
I don't think my rink is doing anything special. Pity because it's a good outreach opportunity. Using mlk holiday to give exhibitions and free lessons is an excellent idea.

Offline Rachelsk8s

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 23
  • I'm probably skating......
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 06:48:46 PM »
I don't think my rink is doing anything special. Pity because it's a good outreach opportunity. Using mlk holiday to give exhibitions and free lessons is an excellent idea.

I completely agree with you!!!  The rink that I teach LTS tried to get something going for this month, but its been slow going, more so on the admin side getting funds, ice time, etc.  After LTS this past weekend, there are two hour public sessions and they were packed!!!  It would have been a great opportunity to attract prospective skaters and their families to the sport.