You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: New here, looking for advice on dress  (Read 1083 times)

Offline lucyo

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
New here, looking for advice on dress
« on: October 04, 2011, 03:03:14 PM »
Hello everyone,

I'm new here and I'm so glad I found this site. So much information here !   I'm a skater mom, my daughter is 9 she has her first competition of the season coming up and I'm having her dress made.  I've heard people say the dress style etc should match the music . This is where I need some help. I was at the textile store and got so overwhelmed with all the choice that I didn't buy anything and left. I'm hoping to get any suggestions on style/ color, whatever. to match her music which is an orchestra version of Journey's Don't Stop Believing. I'm thinking pretty much anything can go, but I'd like to hear some suggestions. All she told me is that she doesn't want pink or purple and she wants it to be sleeveless. Any feedback would be appreciated. thanks! ;)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Re: New here, looking for advice on dress
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 03:33:18 PM »
Welcome to skatingforums!  I think you'll get a better response in the Pro Shop forum - lots of clothing discussions there.

IMO, a dress with a flowy skirt (organza?) would reflect the spirit of the song. 
Maybe something on the blue spectrum, like a cornflower or a royal blue color?

No sleeves huh?  Not doing anything for me, I like sleeves on dresses.  Think about some interesting neckline details then.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline MimiG

• CER-A
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 03:53:07 PM »
I like the blue idea (and also like sleeves on kids - plus it's warmer). I'd probably look for something like this:

With a light scattering of sparkles in the ruching and along the bottom of the skirt & sleeves. And if it has to be sleeveless, I think this style would be pretty adaptable, too.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 07:55:31 PM »
I'll ask the same question I always do: what do the other girls wear to competitions in your area? You don't want to be too fancy or too plain ...  and do most of them wear custom dresses? If most are using stock, then, I would look at the Jerry's stuff - it's well made, not too expensive, and there are a range of styles, and I know you could find something that would suit the music.

If you're having it made by somebody local who is good, then, I would ask them for guidance on what is appropriate for your child's test level, and also for suggestions on a style and material that will work with both your music and your budget - and your daughter's physique.  Little details can really bump the cost of a dress, so, I'd check in with your dressmaker; plus, some dressmakers have preferences in terms of the styles or types of material, finishing etc ...