You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Modifications to the Pro-Filer Hand Sharpener (Actual and Proposed)  (Read 7241 times)

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
Re: Modifications to the Pro-Filer Hand Sharpener (Actual and Proposed)
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2019, 06:43:47 AM »
So, I had my husband remove the stones from my sharpening units.  We don't have a burnishing tool, so I used the smooth part of a drill bit to feel around for burrs, and sure enough, as I suspected there is one on the holder that had the diamond stone.  I'm trying to smooth it out using the smooth end of that drill bit, and a very large flat-head screw driver, but not getting the result I want.

What if I got either a polishing file (so pretty much smooth), or the absolute finest grade sand paper I can find (we have 600 already, but it still feels to gritty, so maybe sand paper isn't the best idea)?

I'm not sure I can say "burnishing rod" in French, and can only imagine the looks I'm going to get at the local hardware stores (+/- home depot), so I'd love your alls ideas.

Offline tstop4me

• Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2019, 08:39:16 AM »
So, I had my husband remove the stones from my sharpening units.  We don't have a burnishing tool, so I used the smooth part of a drill bit to feel around for burrs, and sure enough, as I suspected there is one on the holder that had the diamond stone.  I'm trying to smooth it out using the smooth end of that drill bit, and a very large flat-head screw driver, but not getting the result I want.

What if I got either a polishing file (so pretty much smooth), or the absolute finest grade sand paper I can find (we have 600 already, but it still feels to gritty, so maybe sand paper isn't the best idea)?

I'm not sure I can say "burnishing rod" in French, and can only imagine the looks I'm going to get at the local hardware stores (+/- home depot), so I'd love your alls ideas.
Since this is a one-off operation for you, you could get by with a synthetic-sapphire coated metal fingernail file.  They typically come two-sided coated (finer on one side, coarser on the other).  Check several out for the finest grit (they vary a lot).  There's usually an uncoated tip used for cleaning dirt from under your fingernails.  Make sure the uncoated tip is not too long (the length varies a lot).

Offline tstop4me

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2019, 08:49:42 AM »

Note:  In the interim, if the chassis for the polishing stone is OK, you can use that for both the diamond stone and the polishing stone.  Your husband has already done the hard work (removing a roll pin).  To hold a stone in place, I simply insert a suitable size L-shaped hex key (Allen wrench) through the holes where the roll pin used to be; the hex key is gripped during operation.  You can pop the stones in and out readily; makes it easy to give the stones a full scrub bath after each sharpening session.  Let me know if you would like photos.

[Bill has a more elegant solution (Reply #6 above in this current thread), if your husband has a drill press, and the tools to drill and tap threaded holes.]

Online Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 370
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2019, 08:57:09 AM »
I'd use a file, but I have plenty available.

Requirements are:
1) Hold it flat against the edge of the slot.
2) Use moderately light pressure. Don't bear down.
3) Don't file more strokes than necessary

A file, when held flat against a surface, acts like a woodworker's hand plane. High spots are the first to be removed, and the rest will be minimally affected.

I went into the shop, removed my Pro-Filer stone, and tried a couple of positions that could work.

I tried a 6" mill bastard file, and it was small enough to fit the slot, but not so small that it affects your ability to hold it flat. In France, I don't know if that cut (an American nomenclature) is available, and I don't envy your attempts to communicate that to a French shop keeper.

The first method to register a file flat against the edge would probably require a vice (use soft jaws), but it's easy to hold the file flat against the surface for work. You will be limited to very short strokes in your filing motion though. Note that it looks like I'm putting significant pressure against the slot - I'm not. It's just a little more than the pressure used by two fingers when taking a pulse on your wrist. My thumbs are just making sure that the file is maintained flat against the edge.

I then tried to maintain flatness using the file holding it at only one end, and it's easy enough to keep square. I was working on the side away from the camera in this shot (the edge near me), which seems to work better than pressing against the far edge. Once again, if you have a vice, that would help to hold the Pro-Filer steady. It tends to rock because of the rounded shape.

I've done tons of metal filing in my lifetime. Used thoughtfully, it is a fast way to remove burrs. Remember, hold it flat against the material, and use a light touch. Just a few passes will take down most burrs in aluminum.
Bill Schneider

Offline Loops

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2019, 06:29:45 PM »
Tstop and Bill, you guys are awesome. Bill your response is so thorough, and I know that took time to do those pictures. Thank you. + Goe for you both.

I'll head to the shop this week. Bill, what do you think about Tstops' suggestion of a nail file? I'm not sure I can find a sapphire coated one, but I've never looked, either. I'm more optimistic about the shop file you photographed- that's what I had in mind. Hopefully armed with those visuals I'll have an easier time communicating.

Online Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2019, 06:37:20 PM »
You can certainly try a nail file. Just be sure to hold it flat against the edge just like using a stiff, flat metal file. Because it's optimized for nails, it might take more time.

Flatness is key.
Bill Schneider

Offline Loops

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2019, 03:47:48 AM »
Oh my goodness, you guys-  the difference.

This morning I managed to find one of those sapphire coated nail files (it was, in fact the only kind of metal nail file I could find, so easy-peasy).  I filed down the offending rig, dug out some extra ikea hex keys to hold the stones in, and for the first time managed to sharpen my skates easily.

There was a smaller burr on the honing rig.  Came out easily with the file.

I'll skate on them tomorrow night and see if I spent enough time, but there was no tearing of the tape or anything.  I wish I'd have figured this out last year.

THANK YOU for all the advice. 

Offline tstop4me

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2019, 05:34:16 AM »
Hey, Loops, glad things are working out.  Though I am curious what would have happened if you had translated "mill bastard" literally into French and approached an associate in a French hardware store.  I remember years ago when I was working on an international telcom development team, scattered over a half-dozen countries.  I sent various members a development kit, complete with packing slip.  The entry of "gender bender"  got me a lot of puzzled and amusing comments.

Online Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2019, 07:45:08 AM »
Super!

I'll bet you found it much easier to do than expected.
Bill Schneider

Offline Loops

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2019, 01:30:08 AM »
Super!

I'll bet you found it much easier to do than expected.

Oh yes.  Night and day.

Hey, Loops, glad things are working out.  Though I am curious what would have happened if you had translated "mill bastard" literally into French and approached an associate in a French hardware store.  I remember years ago when I was working on an international telcom development team, scattered over a half-dozen countries.  I sent various members a development kit, complete with packing slip.  The entry of "gender bender"  got me a lot of puzzled and amusing comments.

You have no idea.  I didn't even want to try.  I was armed with Bill's photos for any potential trip to the HW store. I'm not going to hijack this thread with too many details, but lets just say I've put my foot in it many times.  there are so many "faux ami's"  (False friends).  For example, here, you better not introduce yourself to anybody, nor do you put preservatives in your food.  I'll let you figure out how those read in French.  Plus there's the issue with my Maryland accent and our "O"s.  When I say the word "beaucoup" I have to be careful- I have inadvertently called many people, including my late MIL, "nice a$$" as opposed to thanking them "very much".  Living in a foreign language can be exhausting.

But you know what is not exhausting now?  Sharpening my skates.  8)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2019, 05:01:49 AM »

So cool! But maybe you shouldn't smile too much about.

Because it's not just words and phrases that have different interpretations. An article talked about problems associated with opening a French Disneyland. The article implied that smiling at a stranger, a social grace expected of employees by Disney's American management, has a different meaning in France. True?

Bringing it back slightly closer to sharpening, so too are there different schools of thought on skate sharpening even within the U.S. (E.g., one source says that ROH's as small as 1/4 inch are common in New York City; also there is the foil edge vs deburred edge question; local ice temperatures and surface roughness alter "ideal" edges too; and so on.) There at used used to be distinctive American, British, French and Russian styles of figure skating. Could there be a distinctive French way, or Parisian way, of sharpening figure skates? (Blademaster says that European hockey skates are often sharpened differently, using an un-rockered "flat" in the middle, that creates faster glides and stops, because Olympic size ice rinks allow faster speeds than NHL rinks. I've sometimes wondered why figure skates don't have that type of "flat".) Or is a "Parisian skate grind" going too far?

But I admit that has nothing to do with the effects of removing a burr in a Pro-Filer. I should take apart my tool too and see if it too has any burrs.

Offline tstop4me

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2019, 06:26:27 AM »
Yeah, isn't it great to expend your energy (on the ice) skating than (off the ice) fussing with gear?